Welcome!

Full Steam Arts offers arts classes to artists of all ages & experience levels.
I invite you to open up to your creativity and have more joy in your life!


Sunday, February 13, 2011

When is the right time to make art i.e. procrastination...

When am I supposed to find the time to make art? Before or after I make dinner? Before or after I answer emails and return calls?

What keeps you from your art? Laundry, shopping, homework, carpools, bill paying, re-potting plants?

I am exhausted by the time the kids are in bed and the dishes are done. The idea I had to make an Art Date with myself and a glass of champagne in the studio sounded perfect at 4 PM. At 9 PM, I am in my pajamas thinking about whether I should skip TV and go straight to bed.

Just being honest...

I really don't have a solution here. I can think of all kinds of projects that will help me get back into the art studio: cleaning it up for one, making a mixed CD to play inspirational creative music on the half broken Hello Kitty CD player I recently inherited for two.

I am able to read books about being-creative-daily while drinking my chamomile tea in bed (at 9:30 PM). I am able to buy art supplies while passing the art store on my way to yoga or while in Michael's shopping for a school project.

I even have a list! A list of project ideas inspired by personal a-ha! moments, conversations with girlfriends, and above-mentioned creative books...I even have sketches in my journal of ideas so I won't forget the details later on. Some might argue the sketches count, maybe they do, but I know what glorious final projects they could become and feel I am just not living up to my potential as an artist.

So why can't I seem to actually make a whole lot of things? Really make them--with the art supplies I have ready to go, in the clean studio?

Perfectionism? Waiting to not feel tired or torn between many things, all "good" for me?

I know! The time isn't right because I haven't made that mixed CD yet! That's what I will do tonight with my tea in hand and pajamas on!!

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment